Thursday, November 1, 2012

Final Outcome - Electoral Commission's Response

After receiving the response to my previous letter I elected for a court hearing because I was not satisfied with the Electoral Commission's decision. I waited for a few months and did not hear anything until I received the following letter from the Electoral Commission.

Dear Mr Rubenach

Offence of failure to vote - decision not to prosecute

I refer to the "Notice of Election for a Court Hearing" you completed on 16 September
2010. This related to a failure to vote infringement notice that was issued to you following
the House of Assembly election in March.

In accordance with section 21(2) of the Monetary Penalties Enforcement Act 2005, I am
writing to advice that, on this occasion, prosecution will not proceed.

Yours sincerely

Nicole Lugg
SENIOR POLICY ANALYST
Monday 15 November 2010  


I must say I was kind of disappointed with this letter because I wanted the decision to be made by the court.

I have not voted in any elections since and have not received any further notices of failing to vote or fines from the Electoral Commission.

I will only vote in the future if it is my freewill decision to do so. I will not be intimidated by the Electoral Commission anymore. 

   

1 comment:

  1. This blog is awesome. If we really have a democracy in this country, then we can vote not to vote. If they don't let us do this, then, they are actually not giving us the freedom to vote at all. Like Adam Giles said "...is a con".

    ReplyDelete