Saturday, July 31, 2010

My Reason For Not Voting

I failed to vote in the 2010 House of Assembly elections and received a notice for failing to vote. Below is the reason a provided to the Electoral Commissioner for failing to vote.

"I had no preferences for any candidates. I did not completely agree with any policy set or party or candidate, and did not wish to "compromise" myself, make a "dishonest" or "insincere" vote, by voting for any of them. I did not feel I had enough information or time to make a rational, informed choice."

"I object to the political system in general and I object to compulsory voting. I avoided voting in order to make a political statement against compulsory voting. I believe an individual should have the right to be free from politics."

"I believe compulsory voting is an undemocratic infringement on liberty - any force is prima facie undesirable."


The Electoral Commissioner issued me with a determination notice in regard to the reason I provided. The Electoral Commissioner did not except my reason as being valid and sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment